Monday, May 13, 2013

News and Notes: New Exhibit at the New York State Military Museum

I've arrived at a very busy time of year for my day job, but I'm trying to keep up with some posts here and there. I'm currently at work on a new post (potentially multiple posts) related to the 15th Massachusetts monuments at Gettysburg and Antietam. I should have something up later this week.

In the meantime, I discovered the other day that the New York State Military Museum in Saratoga is hard at work developing a Civil War exhibit which should open next month. They even gave a sneak preview to Wayne Motts, CEO of the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg. According to The Saratogian, Lance Ingmire of the New York State Sesquicentennial Committee has been the driving force behind the exhibit, which will feature some incredible pieces, including the coat worn by Elmer Ellsworth.

This museum is a pretty neat - though small - institution that is located in an old armory in downtown Saratoga Springs. I've gone through several times, but it's been a while. I look forward to checking the Civil War exhibit out this summer, and I'll definitely provide a full review when I do. This marks the second major exhibit on New York State in the Civil War over the past few years. Last September the New York State Museum in Albany opened An Irrepressible Conflict: The Empire State in the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment