Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Celebrating the Emancipation Proclamation, and the South Side Depot

I'm on the road for work for a few days. I'm looking forward to continuing my series on the Slyder Family when I return. In the meantime, a few news items caught my attention over the past 48 hours and I thought I would share.

First, Gettysburg National Military Park released a schedule of events to honor the history of the Emancipation Proclamation over the weekend of September 21-23. I won't be able to attend, but the lineup of activities looked really interesting. Looks like the NPS did a great job of partnering with Gettysburg College to put together this event.

The other big news was the announcement that the city of Petersburg and the Petersburg National Battlefield will begin stabilization and restoration of the South Side Depot. The building will house a visitor's center interpreting Petersburg's Civil War history. This sounds like a very exciting development in Petersburg, and something to look forward to on future visits there.

Kevin Levin has a good post discussing this announcement over on his Civil War Memory blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment